Tuesday, October 1, 2013

October 1st, you were nice and breezy


Dear October,

Your morning was pretty today. It was kind of a drowsy day, but in a nice mellow way. I woke up at 7 in the morning incidentally (even though I set my alarm for 9), wondering how I got to procrastinating over work yet again. At 9 I brought my camera with me as I headed off to the Homer Lab to print out

a. my revised essay on Candide
b. a list of my design assignments
c. the weather for you

Looking at the forecast between you and me, you get significantly chillier day to day. I think I’m going to need to start wearing pants on a regular basis now. Every time I put on pants these past few weeks, I've regretted it later because September always decides to be warm and sunny on those days I wear pants.

So I left the Homer Lab because the printer was out of toner, and I noticed that you lit up the leaves outside really nicely. It’s just ordinary trees surrounded by buildings, but there was one tree that was half lit bright yellow, because a building cut off its sunlight. I'm so excited for the leaves to turn colors. Your breezes came occasionally and ruffled the trees until tree dandruff drifted out (this is a term my friend coined. I thought it was fitting and cute and maybe nasty) in little flutters of confetti. I tried to get this on film but you were being disagreeable. I also spent some time trying to catch a leaf as it fell without looking stupid, and I succeeded and tucked the tiny yellow leaf in my pocket so that I could later sandwich it in my journal and call it the leaf that I caught as it fell.

Don’t forget to shower,
Indigo

song of the day: Sayonara no Natsu by Aoi Teshima (From Up on Poppy Hill)

(psst read about the Letters to October project laurapoet's started here!)

1 comment:

Laura Mills said...

You caught a leaf! That's the perfect way to welcome fall :) It's a lot harder than it seems, but maybe I just have bad luck catching leaves... Also I love how you tucked it into your pocket. I think that's one my favorite phrases in the english language. Just the similarities between "tuck" and "pocket" and the symmetry created by the "t" sounds. So lovely.