Sunday, February 6, 2011

Morning Oranges

I had this dream where I was upset for some reason in the dining room. In a fit of rage/or unhappiness, I walked through the kitchen and picked up four different oranges and carried them to my room. I think the oranges were supposed to be comfort food or something. Anyway, when I woke up this morning, I had pretty much forgotten my dream, and I walked into the kitchen to make some breakfast for myself. I paused at the fruit bowl and remembered part of my dream. I had this urge to pick up four oranges. So I did. Then I didn't know what to do with them, so I just left them on the counter.

Well, the point of that was that I thought it would be an interesting if someone recorded their morning routine with a camcorder. Then, every day for a week, they would try to repeat what they did the first day, and record that. And again and again and again. After a few days of recording, they could overlap the videos somehow, and see how close they were to repeating each day.

Maybe the first day they rinsed a glass before pouring milk into it, and the fourth day they forgot to rinse it and just poured in the milk. Maybe they would find out that each day, they put the milk carton in the exact same spot on the counter every day, or that they always left the cupboard door open after grabbing the peanut butter and remembered to close it while making scrambled eggs.

Yesterday, I finished reading The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart. It's a really good book.

It starts off a little slow until you get to the pranks. I actually read this book a long time ago, and I always see it in the library. For some reason, I could never remember what happened in the book, so last week I decided to read it again. It was so strange because I had random moments of deja vu as I was reading it, but not the really familiar kind, where you know exactly what's going to happen next. I just felt like, "Oh, something bad happens next right?" or "She triumphs over something here, I think." I realized by the end of the book that the reason I didn't remember it too well was because the book didn't really have a happy ending. Not that I dislike all books without happy endings. It's just that I really disliked her boyfriend at the end. I liked Alpha. He seemed to be the only character that could think the same way Frankie could. I like her strategic thinking, even though she may be psychotic, according to some of the other characters in the book. Or misunderstood.

Anyway, I have some book recommendations for you. I also have some books that I want to read, and after reading laurapoet's other blog, The Plebicolar Library, I have decided to make a mini wish list for myself. This list is a list of all the books I want to read.

Book Wish List

1. Zombies vs. Unicorns by Holly Black and Justin Larbalestier - This book is an anthology. The two authors I listed are actually editors of the book. There are 12 short stories inside, written by 12 different, well-known authors. Even I recognize these authors, so they must be really well-known in the YA category, at least. Some of the stories support unicorns, and some support zombies. They are designed so that you can side with one side... For me, I don't really have any thoughts on either. I have a teacher that hates unicorns because they're "cliche", so everyone always gives her unicorn gifts, such as unicorn costumes, wall art, unicorn pottery, plushies, etc. She now has a unicorn shrine. As far as zombies go, I once found a dating site for zombies, and I thought it was funny.

Is plushies a real word? I've been using that word ever since I started playing Neopets, and even when I stopped playing, the word stuck. It's just such a nice substitute for "stuffed animals".

2. An Invisible Sign of My Own by Aimee Bender - Ok. You can just click on the link for the summary, since I don't feel like summarizing all that in my own words. This author has some really interesting ideas. I want to read her other books too.

3. Room: A Novel by Emma Donoghue - This book is about 5 year-old Jack and his mom. They live in an 11 by 11 ft white room. Jack has never left this room. Now you can click the link to the summary.

Oh, a while ago, I began a list of all the books I have ever read, and it has about eight books on it so far, some of which are unfinished. Maybe I'll make a list of all the movies I have ever seen, and then all the stories-but-not-books I've ever read. Just for future reference.

Now for my book recommendations:

1. The Particular Sadness of Lemon Cake by Aimee Bender - This book has a really interesting concept. There's a girl who can taste emotions from the food that people make. The first time she realizes this is when her mother bakes her a lemon cake for her ninth birthday, and after she eats it, she can taste her mother's unhappiness. She tries to avoid homemade food after that. During dinner, which is unavoidable, she tastes her family's emotions and realizes that not everything is the way she thinks it is. The writing is really amazing. The only problem is that after a while, the book kind of swerves and goes off in another direction, and then it's all about her brother. He's interesting and all but... I wish the book focused on her tasting ability a little bit more. I didn't really like the ending either. Still, you should read it anyway! It made me want to read Aimee Bender's other books too, which have interesting titles.

2. The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart - It's been a long time since I've read any of E. Lockhart's other books, but I'm pretty sure that this one is very different from those books. It has a nice cover too(I'm talking about the one with the blue envelope and the red basset wax seal). I already wrote a whole paragraph on this book in the beginning of this post, so I'm just going to skip this part and you can just click on the link to its summary.

Ok... So neither of my book lists are very long, but they will be, eventually, when I think of more.

As for music, I have a ton of music recommendations! Unfortunately, I just sent a long list of them a few days ago, so I don't feel like doing it again. I'm not going to copy it either because my comments on the list make no sense unless you have the same brain as the recipient. It would be so much easier to just write a list of recommendations, rather than a list of recommendations plus my thoughts, but it's hard not to comment on my choices.

Also, I used to use playlist.com, but I discovered Grooveshark a few months ago, and I really like it. The graphics are nice, and there's a giant collection of music. The scrollbar on the bottom is kind of shifty, but I don't use it that much anyway. I have included a link to it in the sidebar. I still visit playlist.com sometimes though, just because my playlist there has a three year span of my music choices. And all my friends use it.

Ooh, a glint of sunlight just shifted into my eye through the blinds. I don't really like glaring sunlight, but I do like those times in which bits of sunlight shine into your eye in a way that probably makes your iris look transparent. It makes everything sparkle, like those circle sun flares that appear on sunny photos. You should try it. It makes you feel like there's glitter on your eyelashes or that your eye is a crystal and it's refracting a rainbow of light on the wall behind you. That would be so cool. If we could actually refract rainbows of light, I would line up a bunch of people in the sun and let them refract rainbows onto my wall until it absorbed the light and glowed at night.

Hmm. I'm going to go get some oranges now.

For the First Time by The Script - Here's a good song.

4 comments:

Laura Mills said...

Haha! I can't believe I'm mentioned as the "recipient" I feel so special now :) I love your blog so much!!

Positive Thoughts said...

See the power of positive thinking within you. Follow my blog and read interesting posts. God bless you. Positive Thoughts

Roisin Anna said...

I hate routines so I assumed my mornings were all different. After reading your post I realise that they're not! I always leave the cupboard door open after getting a mug for hot water, and I always close it with my foot as I walk pass with said hot water...there are more examples but I won't bore you with them. Thank you for enlightening me!

http://thesecretlifeofthemind.blogspot.com/

hapi said...

Hi Indigo, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog